Opportunities in Canada for Northern Ireland Companies
Invest Northern Ireland is taking a Trade Mission to Canada 26 - 30 October.
The five day mission will focus on Toronto.
Export advice and guidance
Our expert Trade Team in Belfast will be on-hand with advice and guidance to help you prepare for the mission. We will be linking with UKTI Canada who can provide tailored market research and arrange individual appointments for your company. The cost of this service is heavily subsidised by Invest NI.
Canada - Market
Canada is the second largest country in the world with six time zones, ten provinces and three territories. The capital of Canada is Ottawa which is located in the province of Ontario. Canada has a population of just under 34 million and 90% live within 200km of the Unites States border. There are two official languages, English and French. The EU-Canada Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) will help strengthen trade between Canada and Northern Ireland.
Benefits for Northern Ireland businesses exporting to Canada include:
- Familiar products and service providers
- Similar legal and business practices
- Close proximity to the US market
Strengths of the Canada market include:
- Strong economic growth and banking sector
- High personal wealth
- Large and diverse natural resource sectors
- Strong business and consumer base
Canada offers opportunities, particularly in sectors such as:
- Oil and Gas
- Liquefied and Natural Gas (LNG)
- Defence and Security
Things to think about
- Agriculture is protected which can affect imports
- Alcohol sales are restricted
- Industrial Regional Benefits (IRB) policies make it difficult for Small and Medium Enterprises (SME) to do business in the defence sector.
Find out more about our Trade Mission to Canada