Manage business energy and waste

Increased efficiency + reduced waste = lower costs. It’s obvious really.

But what isn’t obvious is how to go about it. We can help. We’ve already helped local companies save millions of pounds through tailored advice, consultancy, industrial symbiosis, resource efficiency grants and interest-free loans.

We provide tailored advice and training on resource efficiency issues and run workshops across Northern Ireland on energy and resource efficiency initiatives. We can also signpost you to online information to help your business implement resource efficiency savings.

Download the Support Programme for Sustainable Development (PDF)

Consultancy support

To help your business manage and implement resource efficiency projects, we offer up to five days of free consultancy support. This is available to companies with a total resource spend of over £30,000 a year.

Consultancy support can help with:

  • Developing robust business cases for individual projects
  • Providing project management skills on particular projects
  • Managing the purchase and installation of new equipment
  • Defining equipment and/or process specifications
  • Identifying suppliers of goods and services
  • Encourage collaborative efforts with other businesses in your area around energy

Industrial symbiosis

We provide advice on how one business’s waste or excess resources can be used by other businesses, therefore becoming a development opportunity rather than a problem. This advice is available through workshops or on a one-to-one basis.

Find out more information about the Industrial Symbiosis Service


Energy efficiency loan fund

The Energy Efficiency Loan Fund is now closed so the scheme cannot accept any loan applications. In the interim please call 0800 181 4422 to discuss your needs. Further details and updates will be published when available. In the meantime we apologise for any disruption.

Find out more about the support available from Invest NI's Energy and Resource Efficiency team (PDF)


Resource efficiency capital grant

Could your business benefit from a Resource Efficiency Capital Grant? The call is now open. Invest NI is offering client companies financial support for the installation of equipment that delivers reductions in water, waste or raw materials. This enables businesses to achieve costs savings and increased productivity through resource efficiency.

Grants are open to Invest NI clients and are capped at £40,000 with the rate of support dependant on company size (a maximum of 10% of total eligible project costs for large businesses, 20% for medium and 30% for small and micro).

The competitive call is now open and the deadline for applications is 3pm on Tuesday 12 November 2019.

Learn how Brow Packaging benefited from the Resource Efficiency Capital Grant.(PDF)

Learn how Nugent and Gibney Ltd benefited from the Resource Efficiency Capital Grant.(PDF)

Please call the Energy and Resource Efficiency Team on 028 9069 8868 or Contact us for an application pack.


Water efficiency programme

The aim of the Water Efficiency Programme is to take up to ten Northern Ireland based businesses through a 10-step process to become more water efficient and save money. The current Water Efficiency Programme is fully subscribed. Details and updates regarding future Water Efficiency Programmes will be advertised when they become available.

Find out more information about this programme (PDF)


Animation - How Invest Northern Ireland's Energy & Efficiency team can help you


Resource efficiency guides

We have produced a series of best practice resource efficiency guides on topics including biomass, lighting, packing, waste minimisation and water efficiency to name a few.

Read our best practice guides  
Compressed air systems (PDF)
Industrial refrigeration & cooling (PDF)
Lighting efficiency (PDF)
Metering, monitoring and targeting (PDF)
Packaging optimisation - food & drink (PDF)
Resource efficiency - hotel sector (PDF)
Waste minimisation (PDF)
Water efficiency (PDF)
Wind power (PDF)

Not sure that this support is right for you? Contact us and we can explore options for your business together.

Our support may be subject to some eligibility criteria.


Please fill in your details below

*Required Fields
For information on how we use your personal data including your rights, see our privacy notice
Submit your claim for support to Invest NI

New pack and guidance for submitting you claim guides

Improve your environmental performance
Aug 18, 2015
Reduce your business waste to save money
Aug 18, 2015
Saving energy and cutting costs
Aug 18, 2015